The AOPA offers certifications for crops, livestock, greenhouses, apiaries, processors and custom service provider.
Facts about Organic Livestock
- All agricultural products used for feed or feed ingredients, including pastures, must be certified organic to the respective program.
- All other feed additives must be of a natural source and have undergone only mechanical, physical, biological/enzymatic, and/or microbial (i.e., fermentation) processes. (Chemosynthetic processing, extraction, etc. is prohibited).
- Feed and feed supplements produced through genetic modification are prohibited.
- Any feed product containing manure or urea is prohibited.
- Synthetic/artificial appetizers, colorants, preservatives, growth promoters, and/or growth stimulants are prohibited. (This includes synthetic hormones, antibiotics, and trace elements).
- Meat, eggs, and dairy products can be certified organic.
- Meat animals/slaughter stock must be under organic managements from the last third of gestation period.
- Dairy stock must be under organic management for one year prior to organic production.
- Poultry broilers and poultry products must be under organic management no later than the second day of life.
- Feed and feed supplements produced through genetic modifications are prohibited.
- Feeding of mammalian or poultry by-products to mammals or poultry is prohibited.
- Hormone treatment for growth promotion is prohibited.
Benefits of Belonging to AOPA
- Marketing advise
- Website promotion
- Field day
- Free advertising in our newsletter, website and by email
- Application assistance
- Two meetings a year
- Fun, comradeship and learning for life